Do-it-yourself (DIY) divorce is an option for ending a marriage which implies that divorce is concluded without the help of an attorney. As the most affordable option, DIY-divorce is increasingly gaining popularity. However, the spouses who consider filing for divorce without legal representatives should have a clear vision of what the divorce process is in New Jersey. You should familiarize yourself with the peculiarities, rules, and timeline. Even then, it is recommended only to use a DIY divorce for less complicated divorce cases. In particular, it may be difficult to handle your own divorce if:
- there is a history of domestic violence, or either spouse has a claim against the other for money damages;
- the spouses cannot reach an agreement about custody of their child(ren);
- the spouses own real estate or/and personal property of significant value;
- either spouse has a substantial pension funds;
- either spouse is going to seek alimony;
- the defendant lives in a foreign country or serves in the military;
- the defendant is willing to contest the divorce or any agreement the spouses have previously made.
For those who are qualified for a do-it-yourself divorce, the process consists of collecting and filling out the necessary divorce forms and filing them with the court. This is where an online divorce comes into play. The spouses may order the needed documents online saving time and simplifying the process.